Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Missionary Moment: Emma-- I Was Too Tired to Go West

President Albright is the mission president in the DC South Mission and came out with us. He knows the publisher of the Meridian Magazine and recently started posting miracle missionary experiences. He just contacted me and President Matsumori of the DC North Mission and has asked us to start contributing articles as they are now being posted daily for Meridian Magazine. I have almost 200 pages of miracles I have collected in just the past few months. 
How wonderful it is that Joseph's descendants are accepting the Restored Gospel!
 


Dear President Albright,  


I was the 108th direct descendant of the Prophet Joseph  Smith to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of  Latter-Day Saints (the Mormons).   I was the  2nd direct descendant of Joseph to be endowed  in the new Nauvoo Temple.  I think it is time to  share my story with a larger  audience.  



I was raised in the  Reorganized LDS church, now known as the Community of  Christ.  All of my life I had been taught to  distrust and fear the Mormon church which is  headquartered in Utah.  My journey to become a  Mormon started in the summer of 2005 when I ran across a  web site: JosephSmithJr.com.  I spent several hours  reading what was there. I e-mailed the site and  explained who I was.  I was contacted the next day  and was invited to visit Utah in August for a Joseph  Smith Family Reunion.   I was fearful to go, and  was actually concerned for my safety and well being.   I left thinking I was like a sheep being led to  the slaughter and I might be going out on a nice plane,  but I was coming back in a pine box!  But contrary  to my beliefs, it actually was a delightful  experience. My niece Kim Larson and I were picked  up at the airport by John and Gwen Smith, the  great-grandson of Hyrum Smith, Joseph’s brother.   They were our hosts for the next 3  days.   Elder M. Russell Ballard  of the Quorum of the Twelve, a Smith cousin as a  descendant of Joseph's brother Hyrum, addressed us.  About 200 descendants attended the gathering.   Most, like me, were not members of the Mormon church.   We were also hosted by descendants of Samuel  Smith, another of Joseph's brothers. Our reception was  totally awesome. The warmth shared will last a  lifetime.  The  last night we went to  a play at the Marriott Center at BYU celebrating  Joseph's 200th birthday.  I will never again in my  life have the feeling of total emotion I felt as I stood  in the middle of the stadium with my family as we  received a standing ovation from 23,000  people.  We were also guests of honor at the  Mormon Tabernacle Choir's weekly broadcast, during which  music director Craig Jessop welcomed us and paid tribute  to Joseph's wife, Emma, for her collection of hymns.   The choir sang hymns centered on Joseph, "Oh, How  Lovely Was the Morning," and "Praise to the Man."   When they sang “Joseph’s First Prayer,” I wept openly  for the first time in 50 years.  This had never  happened to me before, not even at the deaths of my  parents, wife or son. We were also shown displays of  Joseph and Emma Smith in the Joseph Smith Memorial  Building as the Church celebrated the 200th anniversary  of Joseph’s birth. Under the direction of descendants  Michael Kennedy and his wife, Darcy, and Gracia Jones —  the first Smith descendant to join the Church — we held  a family dinner in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in  Salt Lake City.  The art department at BYU  presented me with a beautiful book about my Great Great  Grandfather Joseph Smith.  I was also presented  with an LDS Hymn Book in memory of Emma’s contributions  to Church music.  After I returned home to  Nebraska, I placed both of these new books in my living  room. At this point I was a total emotional wreck, but I  knew what I needed to do. For the next few months I did  much research and soul searching.  I looked back to  the Reorganized church only to find out they had changed  the church name, denounced the Book of Mormon, and  denounced Joseph Smith as the prophet--all of which I  was very opposed to.  I felt that the original  Church was the one to pursue.      

In  January of 2006, two young Mormon Missionaries came  knocking on my door, Elder Batin and Elder Williams.    When I invited the elders to come inside, they  immediately noticed the LDS hymnal and the art book  about Joseph Smith on my table.   Needless to  say, when the missionaries discovered I was NOT a  Mormon, they stayed in my living room teaching me for  most of that day.  Our discussion was fascinating  for them and for me because I already knew so much about  their church history which intertwined with RLDS  history; however, many of the gospel principles were  different.  Over the following weeks I took all the  missionary lessons and struggled with the huge disparity  between what the elders were teaching me and what my  RLDS friends and family had taught me my entire  life.

The  conflict within my heart and soul grew to the point that  I finally told the missionaries that even though I  believed their message and all their LDS doctrines,   I could not join the Mormon Church until I could  find out for myself why Brigham Young had left Emma  behind in Nauvoo with five children to raise.    I was conflicted and could not come to a  resolution that would comfort me.  It did not make  sense to me that Emma had been left to fend for herself,  after being so instrumental in the Restoration. I also  spent several evenings in the home of David and Jodi  Edwards who were LDS friends of mine, and where Elder  Sandhu and Elder Johnson taught me further  doctrines.

In April of 2006,  I  was driving down the highway to work and singing along  loudly to a Southern gospel radio station.  I still  remember the song I was listening to was titled:   “Joy, Joy Wonderful Joy” by the gospel group Bill  and Gloria Gaithers.  Suddenly, to my dismay, the  radio went completely silent.  I was a bit  irritated at this since the car I was driving was almost  new.  How could the radio break so soon?  I  hit the dash and fiddled with the radio dials, but  finally gave up and just drove along the road alone and  in complete silence.  In the quiet I started to  ponder about my dilemma.  Should I join the Mormon  church as I wanted and enjoy fellowship with the  Saints?  Would this upset my family and the many  generations of Smiths who were angry that Emma  had not been taken West along with the  Saints?  Suddenly,  to my surprise,  I  clearly and distinctly heard a women’s voice speaking to  me.  It was as clear as if it had come through the  radio speakers.   The voice said:   “Robert, Follow your heart. I stayed in Nauvoo because I  was tired and could travel no further.”  
   
I knew instantly that the voice  belonged to Emma Smith, my Great, Great  Grandmother.   It was made clear to me at that  moment that Emma had just given me her permission to be  baptized into the Mormon Church!  My ancestors  would not be angry with my decision to join my new found  faith.   My last remaining concern and stumbling  block had just been miraculously removed.  I was  baptized on May 13th by my cousin Michael  Kennedy, the President of the Joseph Smith Family  organization, and the first descendant of Joseph to  receive the Melchezedic Priesthood. I was confirmed  by my good friend and stake president David  Edwards .  Also baptized at the same baptismal  service by Michael was Caleb, the son my good friends  David and Rebecca Denning.  David is the son of my  second cousin Gracia Jones and is stationed here in  Omaha. I was overwhelmed with emotion that the  great-great grandson and the great-great-great-great  grandson of Joseph were to be baptized during the same  service! It was a joyful occasion. Caleb’s and my  baptism was the first time that a descendant of Joseph  and Hyrum had worked together in the baptism of a family  member.  I could only imagine the rejoicing and  tears that were shed by the two brothers on the other  side of the veil.  Their families were being united  again after 150 years.  The beautiful dedicatory  prayer at the Kirtland Temple offered by Joseph,  especially D&C 109:70, is continuing to unfold, that  the prejudices of Joseph’s posterity “may be broken  up and swept away as with a flood."  Among  Joseph and Emma’s posterity are now some 125 living  adult descendants who are members of the Church, and of  them, at least seven have served full-time missions.   Our prejudices have indeed been swept away as if  by a flood!  Thanks for your efforts to spread the  light of truth!      
    
Warm  Regards,
   Bob  Smith
   Omaha,  Nebraska
     

No comments:

Post a Comment