Sunday, July 3, 2016

Talk On The Holy Ghost (April 17, 2016)

Just a talk given in Sacrament by someone asked to pick a talk from General Conference and talk on it.
Central Valley, California

I am thankful for the opportunity I’ve had to study and learn more about my topic today. What spoke to my heart in the recent general conference was the talks about the Holy Ghost.
I like looking up topics in the bible dictionary, as it explains very well the meaning of gospel topics. The bible dictionary teaches us about precious truths of the Holy Ghost:
It is the third member of the Godhead and a personage of Spirit, not possessing a body of flesh and bones.
The Holy Ghost has been manifest in every dispensation of the gospel since the beginning, being first made known to Adam.
The Holy Ghost is manifested to men on the earth both as the power of the Holy Ghost and as the gift of the Holy Ghost. 
The power can come upon one before baptism and is the convincing witness that the gospel is true. By the power of the Holy Ghost a person receives a testimony of Jesus Christ and of His work and the work of His servants upon the earth. 
When a person speaks by the power of the Holy Ghost that same power carries a conviction of the truth unto the heart of the hearer – as in 2 Nephi 33:1 he states:
And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people;
neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the
power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts
of the children of men. 
The gift can come only after proper and authorized baptism and is conferred by the laying on of hands.
The gift of the Holy Ghost is the right to have, whenever one is worthy, the companionship of the Holy Ghost. For those who receive this gift, the Holy Ghost acts as a cleansing agent to purify them and sanctify them from all sin.
Also, The Holy Ghost is often spoken of as “fire” – In Matthew 3:11 it says –
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance:but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
And in D&C 19:31 it also says: . . . thou shalt declare repentance and faith on the Savior, and remission of sins by baptism, and by fire, yea, even the Holy Ghost.
The bible dictionary also proclaims that The Holy Ghost knows all things. In D&C 35:19 we read Wherefore, watch over him that his faith fail not, and it shall be given by the Comforter, the Holy Ghost, that knoweth all things.
Other names that sometimes refer to the Holy Ghost are
Holy Spirit - Spirit of God - Spirit of the Lord - Comforter, and Simply Spirit.
A week ago in general conference I noted that the Holy Ghost was a topic in a few of the talks.
In Elder Hale’s talk titled “The Holy Ghost” he declares:
All of us benefit from this holy light. It is “in all and through all things,”
and it allows us to distinguish right from wrong.
The Holy Ghost provides personal revelation to help us make major life decisions about such things as education, missions, careers, marriage, children, where we
will live with our families, and so on. In these matters, Heavenly Father expects
us to use our agency, study the situation out in our minds according to gospel principles, and bring a decision to Him in prayer. Personal revelation is essential, but it is only one part of the work of the Holy Ghost. 
Elder Hale continues with many quotes from the scriptures:
As the scriptures attest, the Holy Ghost also testifies of the Savior and God the Father.
He teaches us “the peaceable things of the kingdom” and causes us to “abound in hope.”
He “leadeth us to do good and to judge righteously.”
He gives “to every man and woman a spiritual gift that all may be profited thereby.”
He “giveth us knowledge” and “brings all things to our remembrance.”
Through the Holy Ghost, we “may be sanctified” & receive “a remission of our sins.”
He is the “Comforter,” the same who was “promised unto the Savior’s disciples.” 
Elder Hale reminds us not to seek the Holy Ghost unwisely. He is not there to give direction in every minor choice we make, making his sacred role trivial. We are to use
our agency to live our daily lives, feeling the promptings of the Holy Ghost when needed.
He stated:
In the world we live in today, the influence of the Holy Ghost is most important.
To live righteously so we can feel and understand the promptings of the
Holy Ghost are most important
Elder Hale warns -
“Sometimes the adversary tempts us with false ideas that we may confuse with
the Holy Ghost. I testify that faithfulness in obeying the commandments and
keeping our covenants will protect us from being deceived. Through the
Holy Ghost, we will be able to discern those false prophets who teach for
doctrine the commandments of men”.
What a great promise! I have struggled myself with recognizing the promptings of the Holy Ghost. I have missed opportunities - I have received understanding that I had received a prompting that I dismissed, or ignored. It is most frustrating.
As we follow his promptings, we receive more promptings. But when we ignore or dismiss promptings, we will stop receiving them. I have prayed much to understand and follow the promptings that I receive. Even asking the Lord to give me another chance to continue to receive promptings and trying to increase my spirituality, so I can recognize and follow the promptings for me and my family.
One of the greatest examples that I read about following the promptings of the Holy Ghost was in the Ensign. A gal was home alone while her husband was at the nearby church, when her brother in-law had knocked on the door. It was not unusual for him to show up unannounced and she would have welcomed him into her home.
But . . . the spirit told her not to open the door. She wondered at the strange prompting . . . and she heeded it! After he knocked, through the closed door, she told him her husband was at the church and he could meet him there. He persisted that she open the door, but she stated again he could walk to the church. He left and a short time later she saw him walking with her husband towards their home, laughing and talking!
She learned that he had meet up with an old friend on the bus, and this friend had insisted that he go to the sister in-laws house with him. He felt that this friend did not have good motives. He was unsure how to handle the situation. Then he started praying that his sister in-law would not open the door! When, in fact, she did not open the door, this fellow’s friend lost interest and left.
This was a great example to me. I know, at the time I read this story, I would have dismissed this silly prompting and possibly invited evil into my home. We often want to know the why before we will head a prompting. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way!
Elder Hales shared some personal experiences of following the Holy Ghost in his own life:
Many years ago, Sister Hales and I planned to host some of my work associates
at a special dinner in our home.
On my way home from the office, I had an impression to stop at the house of a widow whom I home taught. When I knocked on the sister’s door, she said,
“I have been praying for you to come.” Where did that impression come from?
The Holy Ghost.
He continues:
Once, following a serious illness, I presided at a stake conference. To conserve
my energy, I planned to leave the chapel immediately after the priesthood leadership session. However, following the benediction, the Holy Ghost
said to me, “Where are you going?”
I was inspired to shake hands with everyone as they left the room.
As one young elder stepped forward, I was prompted to give him a special message. He was looking down, and I waited for his eyes to come up and meet mine, and I was able to say,
“Pray to Heavenly Father, listen to the Holy Ghost, follow the promptings
you are given, and all will be well in your life.” Later the stake president told
me that the young man had just returned early from his mission.
The stake president, acting on a clear impression, had promised the young
man’s father that if he brought his son to the priesthood meeting,
Elder Hales would speak with him. Why did I stop to shake everyone’s hand?
Why did I pause to talk to this special young man?
What was the source of my counsel? It’s simple: the Holy Ghost.
Elder Hale admonishes us to:
. . . encourage our children and others to follow the direction of the Holy Ghost.
In doing so, let us follow the example of the Holy Ghost ourselves, leading through gentleness, meekness, kindness, long-suffering, and love unfeigned.
The Holy Ghost is a medium for God’s work in families and throughout the Church. I offer my testimony of the personal revelation and constant flow of daily guidance, caution, encouragement, strength, spiritual cleansing, comfort, and peace that have come to our family through the Holy Ghost. Through the Holy Ghost, we experience “the multitude of Christ’s tender mercies” and miracles that do not cease. 
In D&C 68:3-6 we read about the impact of the words that our prophet and apostles speak –
3 And this is the ensample unto them, that they shall speak as they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost.
4 And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost
shall be scripture,
shall be the will of the Lord,
shall be the mind of the Lord,
shall be the word of the Lord,
shall be the voice of the Lord,
and the power of God unto salvation.
5 Behold, this is the promise of the Lord unto you, O ye my servants.
6 Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come.
Yesterday afternoon, while I should have been finishing up this talk, I was on facebook!
As I was scrolling down the news feed, a video from the mormon channel came up titled “Receiving Revelation: Power of the Holy Spirit” - I clicked on it and the first part of the video started with a question which was “How Does The Spirit send you revelation”?
I watched testimonies of young people talking about following promptings.
A gal named Jenny shared her testimony –
“The spirit has definitely protected me from making wrong decisions. Even though we know what we should be doing, we need the Holy Ghost to remind us when to do it.”
I love that she said the Holy Ghost “protected” her. She could have used a number of words, but she chose protected.
Another gal mentions the feeling of peace she gets when she makes right choices.
Elder Gerald N. Lund taught in the video that
“Sometimes the Holy Ghost is so subtle that you don’t recognize it, only later as you
see how things work out that you get the confirmation again and you say “Ok, now I understand that was from the Lord”. 
A fellow from the same video explains that if we want to know how HF speaks to us - we want to recognize that, you ask him that – you say “HF I want to recognize your spirit when you speak to me” as you do that and read your scriptures, and pray and continually put yourself in those places where you can feel the spirit, he will reveal that to you.
Isn’t it awesome that I can watch a wonderful video that teaches such beautiful truths?
We have so much given to us to help us to grow and learn and improve and increase our knowledge in the gospel. We just need to take the time – to make it a priority in our lives. I’ve seen in my own progression that it has been line upon line, precept upon precept.
As I grow and learn, I have been added upon.
My hope and prayers are for all of us to continue to learn and progress in the wonderful gospel of Jesus Christ. I know I am happier when I am following the commandments.
I would like to close with one of my favorite hymns, the third verse of How Firm A Foundation:
Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.
In the Name of Jesus Christ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment